Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

If you use the Napco v 5 for Windows software it is a little easier that the
older DOS stuff. The DOS stuff was especially nasty when you were plugging
along in a group of features and it switched and jumped to a whole new range
of numbers just to keep programming the same type feature information. Then
the v 4 Windows stuff had those zone types where the were trying to take a
page out of the then Radionics book to have regular global loop codes. I bet
everyone would find errors on their programs because the error check itself
wasn't bug free. It would always flag false error messages. Those kinds of
things I feel it would be hard to explain to a DIY guy. Hey new guy, trust
me! Pay no attention to the errors the application says you have in your
program. Napco still won't include the older 1000, 1008, 1016, etc. in the
new v 5 for Windows so you still have to mess with the old DOS interface on
legacy panels..
Napco GEM series isn't the kind of system that likes to be keypad programmed
like an (Honeywell) Ademco low end Vista or low end DSC. I could see a DIYer
having an easier (but still not easy) time with those panels.