Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

> Napco GEM series isn't the kind of system
> that likes to be keypad programmed like
> an (Honeywell) Ademco low end Vista or
> low end DSC. I could see a DIYer having
> an easier (but still not easy) time with
> those panels...

Fortunately, the V5 Windows verion of Napco's software does make programming the new Gemini series panels rather easy.  I remember
when they first came out with a Windows version.  Itr was awful!  The key to programming a new panel from scratch using the software
is to NOT [escape] out of the initial series of screens that come up when you create the account.  I can walk a newbie tech or DIYer
through the process in a few minutes, explaining the essntials as we go.  I've done it hundreds of times.

Also, now that Napco has "zone types" (preselected groups of features), it is often possible to program the whole system without
venturing into the massive features screen.

The fun part of programming a Napco Gemini system is in scheduling.  Using a series of "overlaid" (for lack of a better description)
screens, you can program the panel to arm itself on schedule, throw programmable relays to control other devices, enable and disable
the maid's code, etc.  It truly is one of the most configurable systems on the market.  That same configurability is probably what
confuses Leuck onto thinking the panel is so difficult. It's really not hard once you understand the way it all works.  I usually
suggest DIYers get the basics working, save the program as a backup file and then experiment with things like scheduling, access
control, etc.

I also have taught numerous DIYers to integrate Napco Gemini P9600 panels with home automation software.  Most use HomeSeer but a
few have taken an interest in Charmed Quark so I guess it's time for me to get a copy of that, too.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics