Re: Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

It isn't much better in the UK

http://www.adamsmith.org/tax/short-history.php

and it doesn't appear to be quite as bleak as you suggest in Canada

http://www.tax-news.com/asp/story/story_open.asp?storyname=23962

its a little better in the US, but you don't get the health care included.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxfreedomday/

Doug