Re: Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

"tourman" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Sir, you have just asked the million dollar question. Pretty much
> everyone here sells security services, so the answers will be as varied
> as the participants. And there is a great deal of differences of
> opinion versus this subject. So having said that, I will give you my
> thoughts on the matter. However, no matter what anyone tells you (me
> included), make the best decision for your particular situation.
>
> 1- The first decision you have to make is not who you want to deal
> with, but how you want to buy your system....low up front price, high
> monthly rates with a long term contract on  one extreme, and full but
> fair market price up front and low ongoing monthly, sometimes with no
> long term committment at the other extreme. And the very many different
> pricing versions somewhere in the middle. However, do keep in mind that
> long term contracts do nothing for you the consumer;

That is not 100% correct Robert.  It often allows a customer to get an alarm
system now instead of later.  Just like financing allows us to buy new
service trucks without having to scrimp and save to put aside 20-40 thousand
in cash before making the purchase.  Yes it is used by many alarm companies
as a way to guarantee their revenue stream, but if it did not also benefit
many consumers in allowing them to afford an alarm system quickly it
probably would not be as popular.  We are all aware of course of all the
abuses of this system as well.

There are a couple problems with the model also.  The biggest is that people
will refuse to understand why that can't get a comprehensive alarm that
takes a couple days to install for "free" like they can get the 3 doors and
a motion lick and stick system usually marketed under the low or no down
"free" system plans.

The other is that a lot people are not good to their word.  They refuse to
understand why they have to honor their contract.

Personally I dislike the whole free alarm program because people are in
general opportunistic and selfish and its a high stress low return sales
tactic.  However, there is a legitimate reason for it to exist.  You just
have to find a company who will give you what you paid for (or didn't pay
for as the case may be.  LOL), and you have to be understand that if you
don't honor your word they will come after you for being a welsher.

--
Current Rides (Yuma, Az)
2005 VN1600B2 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak

Past Rides
1976 CL350 Honda
1986 VT500C Honda Shadow
1976 GL1000 Honda Goldwing