Re: Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

Sir, you have just asked the million dollar question. Pretty much
everyone here sells security services, so the answers will be as varied
as the participants. And there is a great deal of differences of
opinion versus this subject. So having said that, I will give you my
thoughts on the matter. However, no matter what anyone tells you (me
included), make the best decision for your particular situation.

1- The first decision you have to make is not who you want to deal
with, but how you want to buy your system....low up front price, high
monthly rates with a long term contract on  one extreme, and full but
fair market price up front and low ongoing monthly, sometimes with no
long term committment at the other extreme. And the very many different
pricing versions somewhere in the middle. However, do keep in mind that
long term contracts do nothing for you the consumer; they are in place
to guarantee the alarm company it's revenue stream, and often to pay
for the system itself.

2- On such a small ticket item, it is usually best to purchase outright
rather than lease.

3- Generally speaking, it's best to avoid wireless equipment if it is
possible to install hardwired gear. In this writer's opinion, wireless
should only be used as a last resort if it isn't possible to
economically run wires. Wireless will require more maintenance over the
years.

4- Get three written quotes and figure your REAL price as the total
over five years, of up front cost, monthly times 60, and the greatly
varying costs of warranty and service on your hardware. Then go with
the company you feel most comfortable with, small or large. Remember,
you will likely be with this company for some years to come !

5- NEVER forget the simple, low cost "physical" part of your home
security..locks, front door strike, patio door security bar and some
form of physical barrier on low lying basement window. It makes little
sense to electronically protect your home, and warn "after the fact",
if you haven't done the simplest of things to help keep them out to
start with. Remember, your true security is not one single thing; it's
the cumulative effect of everything you do.

6- Ensure up front that you don't buy equipment which is proprietary
ie: can only be used to report back to one particular company. At some
point in the future, you may decide to shop elsewhere for your
monitoring services, and this will allow you to do so. And if you
decide to sell your home, an alarm system with no legal or proprietary
encumberances will add some additional albeit minor value to the home.

There are many other suggestions that others will post as well.
However, if you wish to do some reading, my website has far too much
wordy information about all aspects of the alarm business, some of
which might assist you in becoming a better informed consumer before
you purchase.

Best of luck

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products