Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

Hello people,

I'm looking to purchase my first alarm system and would welcome any
advice you professionals might have WRT selecting a good company
and assuring that I'll end up with quality components, service, and
installation.

Due to the odd structure of the townhouse, it may be quite challenging
to fish wires to the doors and windows, so I'm expecting a wireless
solution will be talked about.  In addition to the main entrance which
is a wood framed metal skinned door, I've got a metal sliding glass
door and vinyl windows.  I'm thinking fire protection.  There really
isn't a good place to mount a large panel, so something on the small
side would be good.  I've got a tiny dog.  If based on such a simple
description of the environment there would be certain brands or types
of solutions I'd want to hear mentioned or not hear mentioned I'd
appreciate you pointing them out.

Lastly, if there is anything I should do to assure that I'll have some
flexibility down the road... for example, the ability to use the same
equipment with a different monitoring company or run it stand alone
or whatever... I'd like to know.

Thanks for your time.