Re: EMERGENCY HELP

harry wrote:
> Matt,
>
> I do need the alarm monitoring system as a backup and as a possible
> deterrent. If I use three IP cameras, how much bandwidth internet
> connection do you think I will need if I use the DVR you suggested on
> videoinsight.net. My brother has 1.5Mbps DSL but he usually gets around
> 800Kbps - 1MBps and I will be getting Comcast most likely 3Mbps or
> 6Mbps. Is it better to upgrade to more bandwidth on my brothers
> connection since thats where the DVR will be.

Bandwidth will depend on how you set up your cameras - framerate, image
size, compression, etc.  It will also depend on whether the cameras can
be set to transmit only on motion-detection, which would greatly cut
down your bandwidth requirements.

Remember that most broadband connections have a much higher downstream
bandwidth than upstream; your connection will only be as fast as the
fastest part of the connection.  I know some providers have been know to
provide 3-5Mbps downstream but only 128Mbit upstream (ie. sending from
your computer).  Whatever upstream speed Comcast provides, it will
probably be less than your brother's downstream, so that's what you need
to concentrate on.

> Would I be able to use
> the DVR on videoinsight.net to record at BOTH my apartment and my
> brothers place simultaneously.

Yes, but you'd need a separate computer at each location.

The VideoInsight system does support network storage, which you may be
able to utilize to set your brother's computer as a storage target
without needing to have a complete DVR there; that would also allow you
to control the data needs and motion detection within the DVR and have
it simply send the data over the line.  I haven't worked with that yet,
though, so you may have to ask VI's people about how it work, as I
believe it's primarily intended to use a SAN (storage area network)
device rather than a remote computer.

> If IP cameras are better than CCTV
> cameras I dont mind shelling out an extra hundred bucks for each
> camera.

They're not better AS SUCH... just have certain advantages in certain
situations.  In your case, if you're going to park the DVR at your
apartment, you don't need to use IP cameras; standard CCTV cameras can
plug directly into the DVR.

> I already have a DLINK broadband 108Mbps wireless router with 4 ports
> on it. If wireless IP cameras are more expensive I will go for wired
> ones. Will there be any difference in the quality of recording between
> wired and wireless IP cameras.

No.

> If itis too much work for me, I will use
> a local professional to set up the whole camera system. Let me know if
> you know of any good techs in SantaClara county, Sunnyvale, CA area.

I don't.  If you were in Vancouver, BC, I'd be glad to help, as it
sounds like a bit of a challenge :)  Of course, if you want to fly me to
Sunnyvale for a few days, I'd be willing, but that would probably kill
your budget :)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-1, 05/22/2006
Tested on: 5/22/2006 5:56:34 PM