Re: EMERGENCY HELP

harry wrote:
> Matt
>
> Thanks for the kind response. I wont be watching it all the time on the
> internet. I just need the system to record it somewhere else also apart
> from  my own apartment when somebody enters my studio apartment (13X17
> room with one entrance door and one 6ftX8ft window) when I am not home.

Easy enough...

> I want to capture a clear picture and video of the face of the
> intruders so I can use it in court if the need arises. I will try to
> shop around in the next couple of days and find somebody who can do the
> alarm system for 20-25 per month.

Thus my question again, do you NEED a monitored alarm?  If you don't
need the monthly monitoring, you don't need to pay the monthly fee.
Just something to consider...

> How many video cameras do you think I
> need for a studio size of 13ft X 17ft.

With only two points of entry, I'd think two cameras would suffice...

> Do I need a DVR or can I use an
> existing computer with some RECORDING SOFTWARE that can capture the
> video feed on the internet.

You'd need software that can record from multiple IP cameras...
typically that means DVR software that's designed for IP camera support.

> Both me and my brother have DLINK broadband
> wireless routers one is 108Mbps and the other is 54Mbps.

Wireless isn't necessary, unless you want to use wireless cameras as
well, but in a space that small, it's probably not worth the extra expense.

 > Which brand IP cameras with what features do you suggest.

D-Link makes several IP cameras as well, I've always found their
products solid and reliable.

> Can I use my DLINK broadbnad router with 4 ports as a switch for the cameras ?

Yup... and additional switch is needed only if you need more network
ports than the router provides, but with only two cameras, that
shouldn't be an issue.

> What are the advantages and disadvantages of IP cameras compared to
> regular CCTV cameras ? (not sure if it is stupid question).

Advangtages are the the ability to access them directly over the 'net
without needing to run video cabling.  Main disadvantage is the cost.
The cameras may also need to reduce the quality of the video to not
overload the bandwidth of your connection; straight video cameras
recording to a local DVR will always provide superior quality (frame
size, compression, and frame-rates).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0620-3, 05/19/2006
Tested on: 5/21/2006 11:21:20 PM