Re: Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

>> How many years is it going to take before
>> manufacturers get together and produce
>> a product that isn't proprietary?
>
> Hopefully never! Do you really want anymore
> less trained/certified people installing alarm
> systems? More Bass companies peddling to
> the untrained General Public?

Uh-huh.  God forbid they allow competition.  :^)

> That's never going to change. Every Manufacturer
> has to feel special, or more advanced than the next.
> That's the niche they believe.

That's also one of the main reasons why competition is good for
the public.  Not only does it result in lower consumer prices.
It also results in better product development.

If you want to see what happens when everything is standardized,
take a look at the poor quality of Russian products.  I hired an
immigrant from Moscow about 10-15 years ago.  He tried out one of
my Milwaukee drills and said "If use drill like 'dis in Russia
house fall down."  :^)

> People in general don't give to shits about quality,
> they're more interested in the cheapest choice.

On that we disagree.  I've found that most people do indeed care
about quality more than price.  Obviously, there's a limit.  Few
folks will spend three times as much to get a 10% improvement,
but most will spend a few dollars more if they know that what
they're getting is better built or has better features.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms