Re: Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

My understanding is they have applied for both ULC and CSA approval, and
have someone on staff who is adept at manoevering things through those
hopeless bureaucracies. At the moment, they intend to start sell sometime in
Dec / Jan timeframe

The cost at the station end would appear to be about 10 grand, with each
server capable of 1000 "connections", and fully rackmountable to suit
station requirements. When I saw it demo'd this morning, they had a variety
of receivers set up, interfacing with the older 1550 panels and the newer
632 Classic series. However, they state it is totally transparent to
receiver type, communication format, and panel type. The unit on customer
premises has a Full Manufacturers Retail Price around $300, but is expected
to go lower based on quantities, final production etc. Somehow, I personally
see it settling in around the same price as the DSC unit ($250 if my memory
serves me), but unlike the DSC unit which only works with DSC panels, this
device is truly generic.

One neat thing is the ability of the Central Station to program the end user
unit with upgraded firmware etc. I'm hypothesizing here, but theoretically,
the station could offer different levels of service to the end user at
differing prices. However, competitive pressures might well eliminate those
variables over time.

I don't see any issues with commercial applications; however, I can't
resolve in my own mind how this will appeal to the low end consumer who has
just rid himself of a $20 phone line to save a buck or two. Do you sell it
to him, or keep it and add $X per month to the monitoring rate to cover it,
or whatever....

Still lots of questions to be answered, but I do think they are on the right
track...

RHC