Re: Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> My understanding is they have applied for both ULC and CSA approval, and
> have someone on staff who is adept at manoevering things through those
> hopeless bureaucracies. At the moment, they intend to start sell sometime
in
> Dec / Jan timeframe
>
> The cost at the station end would appear to be about 10 grand, with each
> server capable of 1000 "connections", and fully rackmountable to suit
> station requirements.

I paid right around $4,000 to monitor 1,000 accounts using DMP. The receiver
can do 2,500 supervised, and 65,535 unsupervised.

 When I saw it demo'd this morning, they had a variety
> of receivers set up, interfacing with the older 1550 panels and the newer
> 632 Classic series. However, they state it is totally transparent to
> receiver type, communication format, and panel type. The unit on customer
> premises has a Full Manufacturers Retail Price around $300, but is
expected
> to go lower based on quantities, final production etc. Somehow, I
personally
> see it settling in around the same price as the DSC unit ($250 if my
memory
> serves me), but unlike the DSC unit which only works with DSC panels, this
> device is truly generic.

DMP's iCOMsl costs right around the same ballpark, and can also be used on
any manufacturers control panel, including fire panels.

> One neat thing is the ability of the Central Station to program the end
user
> unit with upgraded firmware etc. I'm hypothesizing here, but
theoretically,
> the station could offer different levels of service to the end user at
> differing prices. However, competitive pressures might well eliminate
those
> variables over time.

I'm assuming you mean it's flash upgradeable?
Or is that the ability to remotely program a control panel?

> I don't see any issues with commercial applications; however, I can't
> resolve in my own mind how this will appeal to the low end consumer who
has
> just rid himself of a $20 phone line to save a buck or two. Do you sell it
> to him, or keep it and add $X per month to the monitoring rate to cover
it,
> or whatever....

Ummm....well seeing how the residential industry was destroyed in the 90's,
good luck hiding $250.00 somewhere. Although, If I told you what my average
RMR using the Internet to route signals was.....It's grade "AA" service, so
10% of people would probably pay extra for it.
I think as some of you "old dogs" learn the ability to offer video
verification along side the connection, you'll see the quality of service
justify the costs. I'm living proof, it works.

> Still lots of questions to be answered, but I do think they are on the
right
> track...

I agree. I'd like to see this industry change for the better. 98 more steps
to go.
Thanks Rob