Re: Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

Jackcsg wrote:
> "R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > My understanding is they have applied for both ULC and CSA approval, and
> > have someone on staff who is adept at manoevering things through those
> > hopeless bureaucracies. At the moment, they intend to start sell sometime
> in
> > Dec / Jan timeframe
> >
> > The cost at the station end would appear to be about 10 grand, with each
> > server capable of 1000 "connections", and fully rackmountable to suit
> > station requirements.
>
> I paid right around $4,000 to monitor 1,000 accounts using DMP. The receiver
> can do 2,500 supervised, and 65,535 unsupervised.
>
>  When I saw it demo'd this morning, they had a variety
> > of receivers set up, interfacing with the older 1550 panels and the newer
> > 632 Classic series. However, they state it is totally transparent to
> > receiver type, communication format, and panel type. The unit on customer
> > premises has a Full Manufacturers Retail Price around $300, but is
> expected
> > to go lower based on quantities, final production etc. Somehow, I
> personally
> > see it settling in around the same price as the DSC unit ($250 if my
> memory
> > serves me), but unlike the DSC unit which only works with DSC panels, this
> > device is truly generic.
>
> DMP's iCOMsl costs right around the same ballpark, and can also be used on
> any manufacturers control panel, including fire panels.
>
> > One neat thing is the ability of the Central Station to program the end
> user
> > unit with upgraded firmware etc. I'm hypothesizing here, but
> theoretically,
> > the station could offer different levels of service to the end user at
> > differing prices. However, competitive pressures might well eliminate
> those
> > variables over time.
>
> I'm assuming you mean it's flash upgradeable?
> Or is that the ability to remotely program a control panel?
>
> > I don't see any issues with commercial applications; however, I can't
> > resolve in my own mind how this will appeal to the low end consumer who
> has
> > just rid himself of a $20 phone line to save a buck or two. Do you sell it
> > to him, or keep it and add $X per month to the monitoring rate to cover
> it,
> > or whatever....
>
> Ummm....well seeing how the residential industry was destroyed in the 90's,
> good luck hiding $250.00 somewhere. Although, If I told you what my average
> RMR using the Internet to route signals was.....It's grade "AA" service, so
> 10% of people would probably pay extra for it.
> I think as some of you "old dogs" learn the ability to offer video
> verification along side the connection, you'll see the quality of service
> justify the costs. I'm living proof, it works.

> [...]

There is one track that's bad that they're (manufacturers) on  .....
ONE MORE TIME!

How many years is it going to take before manufacturers get together
and produce a product that isn't proprietary?  They did the same thing
with the digital communicator as they're doing with the IP communicator
and we wound up with a dozen different formats. Every receiver mfg had
to expended how much more R&D and developement funds to design
receivers through the years? Central stations had to invest in half a
dozen different receivers in order to accommodate their dealer base. A
N D .... IN THE MEAN TIME ...... SIA sits there and waits until every
manufacturer develops their own equipment and format and THEN it comes
out with a standard.    WHA?

LIKE they didn't know VoIP was comming down the pike?  What the hell DO
they do if they don't impliment or advance the need for standards? Is
it the Mfg's that don't want to, or what?

It's like if you had 25 Pizza places within a mile of your home, None
of them would make enough money to prosper and the pies would be poorly
made. Reduce that to 3 Pizza places ..... everybody benifits.

Hmm, speaking of which I think I'll go get a pizza.

Nah, damn ..... too late.