Re: Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

> There is one track that's bad that they're (manufacturers) on  .....
> ONE MORE TIME!
>
> How many years is it going to take before manufacturers get together
> and produce a product that isn't proprietary?  They did the same thing
> with the digital communicator as they're doing with the IP communicator
> and we wound up with a dozen different formats. Every receiver mfg had
> to expended how much more R&D and developement funds to design
> receivers through the years? Central stations had to invest in half a
> dozen different receivers in order to accommodate their dealer base. A
> N D .... IN THE MEAN TIME ...... SIA sits there and waits until every
> manufacturer develops their own equipment and format and THEN it comes
> out with a standard.    WHA?

Thats easy to answer, individual manufacturers developing their own
equipment is what causes innovation, also each is developing for a
particular segment of the market AND each manufacturer thinks their
particular method is better than the competition.

With IP communication DMP and Radionics chose a more direct communication
method between the client and central station whereas Honeywell chose easier
installation with Symphony/7845i. GE allows direct communication with
Osborne Hoffman receivers while also offering user configuring over the web
via Premise Connect. Each has strengths and weaknesses but each manufacturer
thinks they can do it better.

> LIKE they didn't know VoIP was comming down the pike?

It doesn't work that way, alarm systems take years to come to market with
the amount of design and testing involved and these aren't huge
manufacturers with unlimited R&D, they can't develop something for VoIP when
VoIP itself doesn't have a standard, With the current pace of communication
it's very hard to predict what will come next. 5 years ago making phone
calls on the net was mostly a dream, it took 8 years to develop the ITI
Advent panel.

> It's like if you had 25 Pizza places within a mile of your home, None
> of them would make enough money to prosper and the pies would be poorly
> made. Reduce that to 3 Pizza places ..... everybody benifits.

And you have what you have now, a pizza market with 3 or 4 big players
making semi-crap fast-food type pizza, I prefer some no-name place that
really knows how to do it right. Let the market decide how many players it
wants