Re: Commercial Alarm - help

"Al Colombo" <securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1130723461.981601.138340@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes, video is used as a tool to deter crime.  Look at grocery stores
> using spot monitors to demonstrate to the public the store's use of
> video.  Would-be criminals at least have to think twice before
> shoplifting in the store.  If they did not intend it to prevent crimes,
> why bother to use a spot monitor?
>
> > Sure video can record crime, and video is a good tool, but the
intervention
> > side of things is what altimately prevents the crime. It's why typical
> > Central Stations call the police. The problem is 99 times out of
hundred,
> > the requests for police intervention are based on inacturate/incomplete
> > information.
>
> The only thing that CS response does is limit the loss because it
> limits the amount of time that the criminal can spend on site.  Once
> the alarm sounds, he knows he has to get in and get out in 5 or 10
> minutes, given that the national average (the last time I heard one) is
> 15 minutes for police response.
>
> It took me the first 9 or 10 years of my 31 to understand that
> prevention is the key to a successful installation.  Of course, the
> alarm system by itself is not going to deter every burglar, but when
> you educate your client in the various other crime prevention
> techniques, such as deadbolts, outdoor lights, etc., especially CPTED
> (crime prevention through environmental design), the entire effect as a
> whole can send a perp down the street to another home who's owner
> failed to take all the right precautions.
>
> Reading through the rest of your post, it seems like we agree more than
> we disagree.  I"m not sure if I'm just misunderstanding you because of
> the way I define "intervention," but it's always good to bring these
> issues forward in such a public venue as this so home and business
> owners can think about what they're doing or not doing to protect their
> homes and business places.

I agree Al. Our terminology is basically the same, with words moved around.
I determine the word "intervention" to a presence. Whether that presence is
physical, technological, or what some would define as "prevention", it's
what we all hope ultimately is a/the deterrent. There are many levels,
understanding, and implementation of how it can best be achieved.