Re: Commercial Alarm - help

Jackcsg wrote:

> I can understand that way of thinking when your options are limited. I'm not
> bashing you here Jim, but there are options, and many scenarios to every
> install.

And I'm not bashing you or Sloud either, (about the technology) you,
doing commercial have the opportunity to cash in on a much bigger
source of cash from your clients. OF COURSE you're going to see the
cutting edge of securtiy. That's simply the way it goes. You'll be in
the forefront of technology. Then it will be the high end resi clients,
then the middle class and finally, a number of years from now, it will
be provided to the masses. The trickle down of technology, always works
that way. Corporations are always more willing to take the chance with
new technology and have the cash to do so. Are you right in saying that
the technology is available to the trade? Sure you are! Are you right
is saying that it should be taken advantage of? Sure you are! Can you
site me an example of any trade that INSN"T in that mode? Of course
not. That's exactly what the definition of the word "progress" means.
Would it be nice if everyone could stand in a line like little soldiers
and do exactly what is right, yeah, maybe in Utopia, but that's not the
way it works. You can soap box about it all you want. You can be right,
all you want. But it aint gonna happen, and it's not a consicous
decision by anyone to NOT make things better, it's just the normal
process that technology takes. Will it get better? Sure it will. Will
there be some things that people will look back on and say .....
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda? Sure there will. What's new?

That's just the way it is. The one thing you ARE wrong about thou is
that there's a 99% rate of false alarms. I my opinion you're just using
that figure to promote your rant about everyone not using the latests
technology. You know that that my be the figure that the politicos use
but you know damn well that using that logic you have to say that 99%
of people have accidents. Haven't you forgotten about all the people
that haven't had accidents?

>You know that as well as anyone. The problem is, as one
> professional to the other; let's just say we're in the future here, and
> verification is in effect. What are the options? What are the options, not
> based on what you know, but what's available, today, right now? I'm not
> being a smart ass either, and there is no wrong answer.

I know whats available but I also know that I wouldn't survive in my
area trying to sell it against my competition in the market I work in.
When it becomes an issue, I'll do what has to be done. Just like
everyone else, I'm not going to be stupid enough to insist on selling
new technology against competition that isn't, just because it's
available, to the detriment of the survival of my business.

I don't think I should have to explain this to you, but here's an
example.
The whole industy has known for years that Voip was comming. Very
little but lip service was given to it and the installing trade and
most mfg's did nothing. I watched it very closely, and kept up on it. A
year and a half ago, they began advertising it in the area. I sent out
warnings to all my clients via newsletter and announcements to aviod
using the service. At this point, all the others (alarm companies) who
ignored or were oblivious to the change that was coming, are screaming
their heads off because they're systems are not working. Very few of
them are looking at it as an opportunity to up sell or at least get
service out of it. Most of the mfg's don't even have a proven product
ready, for the trade to use. And stupidly AGANI, the mfg, are going
down the same trail as they followed before. Each is producing devices
with their own proprietary formats. Some even require special
receivers. Me? I've got about 10 or so clients that have switched
over.They've all signed waviers that their systems may not work. When
the time comes, and the Mfg's have their act in as much order as they
eventually will, the transition will gradually take place. It's a whole
new communications world that the alarm industry has to work with. But
it's only going to deal with it after kicking and screaming while being
dragged into it. Is that dumb? Sure, in your Utopian world, but not in
this one. How long have Plasma TV's been available? Wide screen HD
TV's?, Tivo's?  Only just now is the market for these items reaching
the middle class. It's progress Jack. As slow and combersome and
frustrating as it may seem to those who embrace new technology, it's
still called progress. Get used to it. You can't berate the process and
call it and those who don't take the chance or make the investment ....
now .... stupid, just because YOU,'VE taken advantage of it
successfully. And that doesn't make your investment and successs wrong,
only your castigation of those who haven't yet done so. It'll happen
and you'll be one of the forerunners. Congratulations.