Re: Commercial Alarm - help

J. Sloud wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2005 05:00:53 -0700, "Al Colombo"
> <securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >If you're concerned about false alarms, I believe one of the biggest
> >problems on the consumer side is the mentality of "price shopping."
> >The cheapest alarm system is not necessarily the best, just as the most
> >expensive may not be the best either.
> >

> Let's take a look at the false alarm problem from 20,000 feet.  I'm of
> the opinion that almost all residential and the majority of burglar
> alarm systems are a waste of money.  Name another product that has a
> 99%+ failure rate.  It wouldn't be tolerated.
>
> If the average consumer knew the astronomical false alarm percentages,
> the ridicuously low police apprehension rate, and the general
> perception of law enforcement about electronic burglar alarms, nobody
> would be buying this stuff.  This entire industry is based on a false
> sense of security.
>
> It doesn't have to be this way, but until false alarm ordanances and
> no response policies force change, there will be none.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that your post was made by someone who
didn't have a clue about the alarm installation business. Addtionally,
I'd guess that you don't have much to do with residential or with the
actual installation of systems or actually selling or talking to the
end users. No insult intended but it sounds as if you've obtained all
of your information about the alarm industry from reading articles in
the newspapers.

I'd place that as similar to reading the New York times to decide on
your favorite presidential candidate.

> For those who have real security needs, the intelligent video products
> are starting to show real promise.  Even for basic systems, video
> verficiation may fix half of the problem.

Video hmmmm?
Yep, I can just see it now.

Yes Mrs Sloud. I'm proposing that we put cameras in your home so that
if your alarm trips, we'll be able to look in your house and see if
it's an actual break in or not. Annnnd of course, your bedroom is the
most likely place that any intruder would go, so we're going to put TWO
color cameras with remotely controled PTZ, in there...... OK?

What's that you say? Can't we just turn them on and look in anytime we
want to?

WHY OF COURSE NOT! ....... Honest, Mrs Sloud, they only turn on when
the alarm trips. Do you really think that ANYONE would do something
like that?