Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

Aside from the VoIP un-reliablility issue.

Why would you think that the client had reasonable cause to breech a
contract, when the client changed something after the fact which causes the
alarm to not function properly? Granted a reasonable alarmco will try to
make accomodations, but think about it...I rip my phone line out of my house
so the alarm can't contact the CS...that's not a valid reason to claim the
alarmco is not servicing me and terminate the agreement.

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| "Mike" <forest_test@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > I have a Magnum Alert 900 system in my house and just switched to
| > Voice-Over-IP service through Optimum Voice (Cablevision).  The system
| > will no longer call the central office.  After some testing I found out
| > that the alarm box is set for pulse dialing.  The VOIP service that I
| > have will not place a pulse call.  Can this system be switched to touch
| > tone dialing and if so how?  I tried calling the alarm company and
| > getting someone on the phone who knows what they are talking about is
| > difficult.
| >
| > Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
|
| Is this alarm company strictly a monitoring company or do they have local
| service representation? If so, they should be able to support your system.
| My advice would be to go back to them and get a bottom line answer. If
they
| cannot support your system, they cannot hold you to any agreement and then
| find someone who can support it. Your situation needs to be addressed by a
| service technician with the proper tools. Secondly, consider keeping a
| basic, no frills regular phone line. There are to many questions about the
| reliability of VOIP, when there are security issues, such as power
outages,
| loss of cable service, phone line configurations, modem relocation, the
VOIP
| provider periodically downloading new formats and possibly even not being
| able to connect to the real "911" emergeny service. When you loose cable,
| you will loose telephone, but what the heck, you have a cell so it isn't a
| big deal, right? Well, you have lost your security, possibly fire, if you
| have smokes attached and medical if there is an elderly person that might
| need it. Cable is the last to get back on line in any kind of diaster.
Read