Re: "Central Station Service" Poll

"Bill" <bill190nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3s9tiaFmus0kU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm more familiar with electrical codes, and in that case, you need to buy
> the code book to read the codes (so far as I know). Some small town
> libraries can't afford to buy the latest codes each year.

Are you familiar with electrical codes? Or just where to find them...

> There are a lot of people these days who seek information on the internet.
> feel it would be better if people could read the codes on the internet for
> free.

Yes, I agree...everything in life should be free. Forget our Heritage,
values, education, experience...it would end poverty, racism, un-equality,
and put all the nutbars in the world on the same playing field.

> I guess the funding for these organizations comes from the sale of the
code
> books?

Not for Profit. An ugly American term for benefiting equality, and the under
priviledged.

> Anyway I feel that more people would follow the codes if certain sections
> could be quoted on internet forums.

Not so. You'd have every Tom, Dick, and Harry implementing his
interpretation of guideline for safety. Some people actually aquire years of
experience, and education before becomming successful at it.

> Then after quoting the code, the person requesting the information will
say
> "That's a silly rule!".

80% of the population would end up killing themselves, or others
interpreting, what is silly.

> Then other more experienced people can at that point say "Hey, that rule
is
> in place because x number of people have died in the past due to not
having
> that safety feature in place, etc. And that these codes are in place to
> protect YOU basically, etc.

That's all they're there for. Do you have any idea how many Americans died
while installing the high voltage power lines of the early days? How many
homes were lost to electrical incidents?
How many people lost their lives before smoke detectors were mandated? The
codes were writen to provide "minimum" safety standards. They illustrate how
things should be safely, and correctly installed. They are "enforcecable"**
guidelines.

> Some of these people do not get permits or get their work inspected, but
> when it is pointed out *why* they should follow certain codes, I think
they
> do so for their own safety.

Definately.

> So I think if the goal is protection of life and property, then the codes
> should be very accessible to the public at large (internet).

They are. So are law books. Does that mean we should all be priviledged to
practice law?
Why not? The books are available...

> Perhaps funding for these organizations could come from another source
such
> as a surcharge or tax on building permits?

Move to Missouri, you can pay a tax for everything associated in your
life...and I mean everything!