Re: "Central Station Service" Poll

mbbaker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> As one of those stupid jackasses at NFPA, I'd like to respond.

Well hey there. We finally got one of them to admit it.

>  I don't
> work for NFPA, I'm a volunteer on a technical committee along with
> thousands of other volunteers who spend their own time and money on a
> regular basis to improve codes and standards.  A butt load of us are in
> Orlando this week to work on the 2007 version of NFPA 72.
>
> You're right badenov, it's a terminology problem.  It has to do more
> with history than anything else.  Committee members have improved the
> verbiage and continue to do so, but we need your help.  You're a smart
> guy (I assume or you'd use natasha) and I challenge you and all
> naysayers who spend time wailing and gnashing your teeth when trying to
> apply code language to the real world.  I challenge you to submit
> proposals to change the language.  To make it easier to use.  In the
> back of every NFPA standard is a form to submit a proposal.  Heck, I'll
> fill the form out for you.  Just email the exisitng code language to me
> along with your proposed change and I'll prepare the document with your
> name on it and submit it for you.
>
> It's not a rotten system and it doesn't mainly benefit UL, NFPA, and
> large alarm companies.  It (our system of building codes and
> installation standards) is the result of our industry's consenus as to
> how to balance life safety and property protection with available
> resources.  If you don't like it, fix it!  Propose changes, make
> comments to proposed changes, vote, and participate!

Yeh sure. That's just the first thing that anyone wants to do. Is sit
down with a bunch of fat, cigar smoking good ol boys, with american
flags on their sleeves and baseball caps, who are out to pat themselves
and each other on the back for screwing up the alarm trade year after
year. Isn't this the Credo:

 Wah ifen we-all kin save ONE leif by mekin up a nue rool, wah we-all
are jus gunna do it.  Jus you-all niver mine how muchin it cos enyone
to foller those there rools, er how much it cos the en user, Price is
no limit. We jus gots to keep on mekin them up, so we kin keeps on
selen them rools. Dowin mek no difrence ifin they meks cense er not,
jus keep mekin them up. Yehp uh huh. Oh yeh, an the more dificult we
meks em, the more we can gets the money to go to them there big
compneys on the board.  Uh huh Uh huh You betchm.

> I feel better now. Thanks.

Thanks for the opportunity.
 I feel even better.