Re: "Central Station Service" Poll

Norm Mugford said:

>Some of our cities and counties in Florida are requiring
>"Central Station Service" for all commercial fire alarm
>installations. Their interpretation is that all commercial
>fire alarms must be UL or FM certificated or placarded
>in order to comply. Even though UL & FM are not licensed

It's a terminology problem.  Too many fire marshals fail to understand that
there is a difference between a system that is monitored by a central
station, and "central station fire alarm service."  They hear the system is
monitored by a central station, they turn to the "central station" section
of NFPA 72, and they start asking for certificates.  They can read the
code, but they don't understand what they are reading.  They don't realize
that most fire systems that are monitored by a central station are actually
remote station systems.

I blame the stupid jackasses at NFPA for continuing to use this confusing
terminology.

For readers who aren't familiar with the code, real "central station fire
alarm service" requires dispatching runners (guard, service tech,  someone
other than the property owner)  within two hours on things like a closed
sprinkler shutoff valve.  Repairs must begin within four hours after a
trouble signal is received.  This gets expensive, and it tends to cut the
smaller dealers out of the fire alarm market.

It's a rotten system, and it mainly benefits UL, NFPA, and large alarm
companies.

- badenov