Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

> The important thing is that all of the RG-59U I've seen uses stranded core wire (which is better suited to CCTV applications due to it's flexibility).

Manufacturers actually recommend using solid core coaxial cable.
Stranded cable is needed only for short runs that will be subject to
flexing because that would eventually cause a solid core center
conductor to break.  There is zero benefit to running stranded core
cable for general use.  The truth is that the vast majority of CCTV
installations use solid core cable -- not stranded core -- for all
fixed cameras and for the main runs from camera mount to DVR, monitor,
etc.

Olson was probably confused by misreading the referenced website when
he did a quick Google on CCTV cable.  The site does recommend using
stranded core, but *only* for cables that will be subject to repeated
flexing.  Other than that, they specifically recommend solid core.

Both RG6 and RG59 are mainly sold in solid core but stranded is
available for the limited purposes it serves.

Another thing which may have confused Olson is the oft-repeated
recommendation of braided copper vs. aluminum foil shielding.  For CCTV
the preferred shield is indeed braided -- but NOT the center core.

> The RG-6 I've seen available from most of the whole-salers uses solid core wire.

The reason most CCTV cabling is still RG59 and not RG6 is there's no
need for (nor benefit from using) the RG6.  RG6 Quad Shield cable is
another thing.  For high bandwidth video services such as entertainment
video distribution where near-total rejection of EMI/RFI is essential,
RG6/QS is often the best choice.  Ordinary CCTV cameras, even high end,
"high resolution" ones, are not that critical and don't use enough
bandwidth to necessitate RG6 with its higher price tag and slightly
more difficult installation techniques.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com