Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

I would get the cameras *first* so you know what wiring they will require.
If running coax, use RG-6 which is best.

So far as learning to run wires in an already built house, you need a
knowledge of construction (what is inside the walls), a combination stud
finder/metal detector/AC wire finder will help to keep you from damaging
things inside the wall, and then long drill bits ( 7 ft.) with a hole
drilled in the end to fish wires, and a fish tape will help. Then experience
doing these things.

Also experience running and bending electrical conduit helps quite a bit.

In your situation, it might be about the same cost (as buying all the tools)
to have an electrician run the wires for you.

Many cameras are sold without the mounting hardware. Get the cameras and
mounting hardware first. A camera I have uses shielded cable with RCA jacks
and 2 wire power. Another camera I have uses coax and 2 wire power. Some
cameras with zoom or whatever might need more wires to control the camera.
You can also get adapters: RCA to coax, etc.