Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

Alarm Guy wrote:
> Frank Olson wrote:
>
> > > Anyone else have any info or input on this?
> >
> > http://www.pelco.com/support/videosecbasics/selectingcable.aspx
>
> The way I read that, it basically says that the longer the run, the
> larger diameter should be the center conductor.
>
> It ->doesn't<- say that RG6 is worse than RG59 for short runs.
>
> I think the shielding of RG6 is way better then RG59, and if the
> resistance is less then it's a no brainer that RG6 is technically
> always better than RG59.

Again, it's been awhile since I was familiar with the requirements
and spec's but I seem to remember that it's not the resistance that is
the issue but the impedence and attenuation of the high frequency
signals.
It's not like a "voltage" that would require a larger conductor, to
give better
results at the end of the line. It's not Ohms law only, that can be
applied in
this case. CATV has a much broader band width  and higher frequency
requirement and therefore the center core can/should be a copper clad
steel
conductor, because at those frequencies the signal travels on the
outside
of the conductor. With CCTV, it's a lower frequency video signal and
therefore a full copper conductor is better. Also the copper braid is a
better
shield than aluminum, which the lower freq CCTV signals require, since
there's
a greater possiblity that the wires will be longer runs than a typical
CATV run
and they're more likely to run along with AC and other interference
source
wires, for long distances.  There's also something to do with the size
diameter
of the inner insulation which separates the center conductor from the
braid
shield .....but I can't remember what it is.

> For anyone doing the labor themselves, I think it would be a waste to
> NOT use RG6.  For contractors that do this all the time, maybe the
> extra expense of RG6 is why they think that RG59 is better (yea -
> better for them, but not better for the customer).

I seem to remember that RG59 was more expensive than the RG6
because of the copper content.

Could be I'm wrong about some of this, I'm pulling it out of a pretty
old "hat".

But my curiosity is really about whether the  newer equipment is
capable
of working with RG6 in all instances or ...... what?

Where's the guy from the Bahamas who does all the CCTV work?