Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

Alarm Guy wrote:
> Frank Olson wrote:
>

>>>Anyone else have any info or input on this?
>>
>>http://www.pelco.com/support/videosecbasics/selectingcable.aspx
>

> The way I read that, it basically says that the longer the run, the
> larger diameter should be the center conductor.
>
> It ->doesn't<- say that RG6 is worse than RG59 for short runs.
>
> I think the shielding of RG6 is way better then RG59, and if the
> resistance is less then it's a no brainer that RG6 is technically
> always better than RG59.
>
> For anyone doing the labor themselves, I think it would be a waste to
> NOT use RG6.  For contractors that do this all the time, maybe the
> extra expense of RG6 is why they think that RG59 is better (yea -
> better for them, but not better for the customer).

The important thing is that all of the RG-59U I've seen uses stranded
core wire (which is better suited to CCTV applications due to it's
flexibility).  The RG-6 I've seen available from most of the
whole-salers uses solid core wire.  I suppose you could use a signal
converter and CAT-5 or CAT-6 but that's going to add an additional
expense to your installation.  It will result in a cleaner immage on the
longer runs and less fuss though.  It all boils down to persnoal choice
I guess.