Re: Ademco Panel

yah sometimes you get carried away :-)

when I come across locked panels, if I can't jimmy my way in, I just pull it
and replace it (without charging client)...I figure it's a real small price
to pay for a new client. I don't mess with trying to get the locking company
to unlock it. I've had a policy for 21 years now...if any of my guys ever
called the original alarmco or the prewire alarmco for help...they're outta
here.

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Yeah, for that $1000 Power 632 install, I wonder how much each party made
on
| that ! It's my understanding that the alarmco's that do these builder
| installs do so at a much reduced price in order to hopefully win the
| monitoring contract. But you're right; that doesn't excuse unethical
denial
| of rightful access to customer owned equipment.
|
| People on the ng tell me I make too much of this, but I don't believe I
do.
| It's quite common actually. But in fairness, it always seems to be the
same
| minority of companies that are guilty of this practice. Given the low
price
| of alarm panels at wholesale level, it just seems such a stupid thing to
do,
| and I doubt it stops any other alarmco intent on winning the business.
|
| RHC

| >I can understand it, but I can't condone locking a panel before you even
| > have the person as a client...that's unethical in my book. Stems
partially
| > from the fact that the alarmco was probably haggled down to a no profit
| > install by the builder...the builder making more money on the system
than
| > the alarmco who did all the work....that kinda thing.
| >

| > "R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Sir, best to send it to Jim Rojas on this newsgroup. He unlocks all
| > makes
| > of
| > | boards; the other two who do it are located in Canada, and (speaking
| > only
| > | for myself) ONLY do DSC and Paradox. There just isn't enough business
on
| > | other makes of panels to make it worth while going through the process
| > of
| > | learning how to crack those boards.
| > |
| > | On the other hand, it might be simpler and only slightly more costly
| > | simply replace the board.
| > |
| > | BTW, Crash, I get lots of calls from people in the same boat, and have
| > | actually been close by when the client was told by the alarmco to sign
| > | contract with them or they won't unlock the clients board (that's one
of
| > the
| > | things that originally got me into this business...). Most alarmcos
are
| > | quite ethical though, and will assist the client. However, we have
three
| > | companies here in town that are known for this kind of activity.
| > |
| > | I came upon a new wrinkle on this theme the other day ! My customer
| > moved
| > | into his new home equipped with a DSC 632 that he paid $1000 to have
| > | installed, and which was sold to him with the home. When I went there,
| > | found a truly magnificent installation. But on the can lid was a
sticker
| > | that said..."This panel is electronically locked for your
| > | protection"...!!!!!! (including keypad lockout after three
attempts...)
| > |
| > | Yah gotta wonder....
| > |
| > | R.H.Campbell
| > | Home Security Metal Products
| > | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
| > | www.homemetal.com
| > |
| > |
| > | "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > companies
| > them

| > one
| > set
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > | I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
| > | http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
| > |
| > |