RE: Re: Solar PV ?

Lee,

> The thing you need to keep in mind, the that with a 3KW (or even 2KW)
> immersion heater, the solar PV needs to be running pretty much flat
out t=
> cover your houses base load plus the immersion heater.
> How often does this happen? Not that often judging from my graphs...

I think he is only using a 2Kw immersion heater and has a 3.8KWh array
that=
is southerly facing. Even so I do take your point that he is highly unlike=
ly to have it diverting energy to the immersion most of the time. But even
=
a few hours a day probably makes it worth while to him.

> Using an OWL to measure the consumption DOESN'T WORK when you have
solar
> PV. The OWL (or other meter) DOESN'TKNOW which way the current is
flowing=
.
>Eg.
>Base load 1Kw solar PV 1Kw =3D Owl reading 0Kw
>Base load 1Kw solar PV 2Kw =3D Owl reading 1Kw
>Base load 1Kw solar PV 0Kw =3D Owl reading 1Kw

Is that still the case when the OWL clamp is only on the AC cable from the
=
Inverter to the consumer unit ?
In other words, I think he had 2 OWL units one to monitor SolarArray
produc=
tion and one to monitor house usage.

=D8  Which leads me to the "Open Energy Monitor" project, using
an Arduino =
with a

Looks like an interesting project, but my soldering skills are pretty
limit=
ed :( Is anyone selling ready assembled devices ?

Marcus