RE: Re: Solar PV ?

Marcus
I too have a long DC run (more like 20m).
I opted for inverter in the garage as the loft=20
can get pressy hot. Logic was the losses from a=20
hot inverter outweighed DC losses.
I am surprised how weak the bluetooth is. If you=20
plan to use bluetooth a dongle near the inverter=20
was necessary in my case. Netbox was expensive.
My transformerless SMA inverter has a fan (not=20
noticed it running yet) , doesn't hum, but does=20
have some clunky relays that might carry in the roof structure.
Output target 3000 units in a year.
Achieved 2520 since end of January installation.
Sanyo HIPS
Sunny Isle of Wight
:-)
Peter
At 12:53 12/07/2011, you wrote:

>Thanks for the info.
>
>I'd already played around with the SunnyDesign=20
>software, but it just gives you numbers and=20
>percentage etc , I'd no idea how they translated=20
>into the real world, so its nice to know your=20
>situation since your DC runs are about the same :)
>
>I'll probably go ahead and put in the cellar=20
>next to the consumer unit, but since the install=20
>is a set price regardless (their philosophy is=20
>win some, lose some), I'll get them to use the=20
>10mm cable just to really minimise any losses.
>
>Is your SolarPV array performing to=20
>expectations, are you producing as much as the estimation said ?
>Most people I've talked to seem to be exceeding=20
>the estimation, which is nice to hear.
>
>Marcus
>
>From:=20
severnsource
>Sent: 12 July 2011 11:31
>To: <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Solar PV ?
>
>Download the Sunny Design software=20
><http://www.sma.de/en/products/software/sunny-design.html.>http://www.sma.=
de/en/products/software/sunny-design.html.=20
>That will give cable losses, amongst other=20
>things. My inverter is in the garage with about=20
>15M of DC cable (2 strings, 4mm cable for each)=20
>and 15M AC (6mm cable). The cable losses are insignificant.
>
>--- In=20
><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40ya=
hoogroups.com>,=20
>Marcus Warrington <marcus.warrington@...> wrote:
> >

> > Stewart,
> >
> > I looked at the micro inverters but the cost=20
> (for me) was prohibitive. 21 panels each with=20
> its own micro inverter worked out around =A34000=20
> , the cost of a single 3 string,=20
> transformerless SMA inverter was more like=20
> =A31600. I was looking at the SolarPV as an=20
> investment so the bottom line was not how=20
> efficient things would be but how much profit=20
> they would earn me over 25 years. I don't=20
> believe the micro inverters could ever earn me=20
> back enough in the 25 year period to pay for=20
> the cost differential. Of course if I was only=20
> having a few panels then it may work out=20
> differentially, e.g a 1.2Kwh array of 240W=20
> panels would only need 5 micro inverters so may=20
> well even have a smaller capital cost than buying a single central
invert=
er.

> > Having said all that I guess it does depend a=20
> lot of the amount of shading you have, I only=20
> have a small localised amount so can work=20
> around it by having the potentially shaded panels on separate smaller
str=
ing.

> > Regarging the noise issue, I belive (and=20
> hope!) that this is an issue with the ones that=20
> have a transformer in them and that the=20
> transformerless ones do not generate a noise=20
> (or at least nowhere near as loud) as well as being slightly more
efficie=
nt.

> > Our fitting date is in two weeks, but I'm=20
> still undecided if I should fit the inverter in=20
> the loft, where it will will get hot but have=20
> short DC cable runs, or have it in cellar where=20
> it will be nice and cool (and easily=20
> accessable) but have a longer (~15M) DC cable=20
> run. The installer seems confident that running=20
> 10mm DC cables will limit any ineffeciencies upto around 25M.
> >
> > Marcus
> >
> > From:=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40y=
ahoogroups.com>=20

and we'r=
> > looking at using Sharp panels and micro-inverters (1 per panel)
made by
> > Enecsys. These micro-inverters fit directly onto the back of each
panel=
and
> > solve the problem of one shaded panel bringing down the output of
the a=
rray
> > and also, as we were worried about the noise generated by a loft
mounte=
> > inverter, these will be mounted outside so noise won't be a
problem (we
> > hope!).
> >
> > The micro-inverters are a recent development so there's no
worthwhile
> > reliability data yet, however, they do come with a 20 year
warranty.

> > regards
> >
> > Stewart
> >
> > From:=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40y=
ahoogroups.com><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>=20
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:uk=
ha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]=20
> On Behalf Of
> > Marcus Warrington
> > Sent: 16 May 2011 15:36
> > To:=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40y=
ahoogroups.com><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Solar PV ?
> >
> > Kevin,
> >
> > I think in theory it still does, but you can=20
> get panels with built in bypass
> > diodes that should mean only those cells (or possibly string of
cells)
> > within the panel that are shaded get affected. I have another
installer
> > coming tonight so I'll be quizzing him a little more about this
:)

> > Marcus
> >
> > From:=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40y=
ahoogroups.com><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> >=20
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:uk=
ha_d%40yahoogroups.com>=20
] On Behalf
> > Of Kevin Hawkins
> > Sent: 14 May 2011 14:15
> > To:=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d%40y=
ahoogroups.com><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>=20
> <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Solar PV ?
> >
> > If you had an array of panels but one of them was in shade ,
perhaps
> > from a chimney stack , does this same situation occur ? I'm
> > assuming not as it must be correctable via electronics but just
checkin=
g...

> > On 13/05/2011 09:06, Marcus Warrington wrote:
> > > Since I've now read that output of a string of panels is
dictated by =
the
> > lowest producing panel, that's means if I have a string of Sharp
panels=
all
> > producing +10% but the last one produces -5% then its as though
all the
> > panels are at -5%.
> > > Marcus

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums