Re: Re: XBOX Softmod - there *IS* a god, - and he effing hates me!

Depending on the softmod you used if you boot up with the eject button
(so
the drawer is open) then you get a "maintenance" dashboard that
you can use
to backup/restore the dash in case a game undoes the mod.

if I remember right there is a piece of software that removes this from
some
games but I don't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Sean

2008/9/28 Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx>

> I'm going great guns on this now... - currently using DVD2XBOX to copy
> few of my game disks onto the HDD... - which raised a question.. - I
> know that it's part of the standard operating procedure for games to
be
> able to update the Xbox dash to the latest version if necessary, - I
> noticed as I was copying the games that most of them had a
> "dashupdate.xbe" on them... - How is this likely to affect
the softmod?
> - is it just a simple single file update of the xboxdash.xbe with a
> newer one off the game disk? - If so, that wouldn't bother me, since
my
> default dash is now set to evoxdash.xbe, and the original xboxdash.xbe
> is still there and is simply ignored...
>
> OR, does it do anything cleverer than that, - like update the dash
file,
> *and* make sure that the BIOS also sets that as the default dash? -
> Which would obviously "undo" the softmod & require me to
run it again...
> and if the machine is in the holiday home in Spain, and it was my
sister
> that had just triggered this process by loading a game, then that
would
> be a bit of a problem!
>
> Second question is about getting the games a bit more accessible from
> XBMC. Obviously it's not "hard" to go via the programs menu,
but it
> would a bit more user friendly if I had a "Games" menu right
on the top
> level of XBMC. I also have no need of the "Photos" menu
item, so I'm
> hoping (and this is probably an RTFM question!) that it's feasible to
> tweak the XBMC top-level menus by editing its XML config files? -
before
> I go off searching for tutorials etc on this, does anyone know if this
> is possible?
>
> All in all though, once the anguish of acquiring all the requisite
> software etc. and jumping through all the ridiculous hoops is
complete,
> XBMC is still impressing the pants off me... - and that ain't easy!
>
> TIA
>
> Paul G.

The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs...
one step at a time.
- Joe Girard