Re: LinITX touchscreen

Paul Gordon wrote:
> Thanks Nick! - I guess that finally convinces me of what I'd already
> more-or-less decided, - that this M10000 board just doesn't have the
> "horses" to run XP with acceptable responsiveness.

XP is extremely reliant on a large amount of RAM to perform reasonably...

> What's the lowest power option these days to run XP acceptably well? -
> the machine is more or less exclusively to provide the bedside
> touchscreen for the HA interface. As such, it will probably spend most
> of its life running the yet-to-be-released Homeseer touch application,
> although there will undoubtedly be other apps in occasional use too...
> SONOS desktop controller, CCTV viewing, (not sure how yet, - i.e.
> whether to attempt to pipe the TV-out S-video signal from the CCTV
> server over a set of KAT5's, convert to composite, & connect to
video
> input on the screen, or, more likely, I'll just run one of the
Geovision
> remote apps to view the cameras).

Hmmm "Acceptably well" is a tricky one - what I accept as
reasonable you
might not agree with (and of course I acoid running windows but lets not
go there)

Fastest fanless mini-itx is only 1.2 GHz at the moment but having said
that the graphics and memory systems on them are vastly superior to that
on the M10000.

Personally I would look at the 1.2GHz jetway J7F2 -
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11111

If you don't need fanless you could go for the same board in 1.5 GHz or
2 GHz variants. (the 1.5 GHz also comes in a low power 12W version which
may be useful)

Stick in 1GB DDR2 to be sure you have enough.

An alternative might be the TINO barebones system which can take a
fanless Pentium M up to 2.13 GHz
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11335

> I'm also considering using it to provide DVD playback to the bedroom
TV,
> playing ripped DVDs off the media server (it's either that or getting
> KISS network DVD player that can do the same).

The J7F2 can have an additional DVI output installed which might help here:
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11046

If you feel the need for speed then have a look at the J9F2 extreme core
duo board:
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11701

Lots of choices I'm afraid
Hope that helps a bit

Feel free to call to discuss with either Chris or myself.

Nick.