Re: Re: Advice please on running cat5

Thanks all for the advice.

>  I've got some heat shrink from screwfix but if you look at the
>  Papidonline.com site they have the spec sheets for their sheathing
>  which gives the dielectric constant and resistance in KV/mm. I never
>  did work out how to translate this to "mains rated". From
my
>  experience no-one will ever check your runs so it probably for your
>  peace of mind more than anything.
In the end I pulled up another floorboard (turned out it was already
quite loose and the wife was on a quick trip to B&Q & Jewson) so I
put
in a few more joist holes -- so there's only 2 points now where the
cat5 runs over joists along with the mains outlet.  But the mains
outlet will probably be removed when we do the kitchen next year
anyway.  So for now I'm clear of the mains which takes away the "mains
rated" issue.

On Nov 12, 2007 10:53 PM, JonS <semi.jon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I have used a false ceiling in my kitchen for cable and pipe runs.
>  As the ceilings are high it isn't noticeable and running the cables
>  from below was remarkably easy compared with running through joists
>  or even through conduit. If you want to keep SWMBO happy I'd avoid
>  re-running cables, or at least admitting its a re-run ;-)
>  If you are working room by room then will you store cut cables
>  between the joists until a room is ready to recieve them or keep open
>  access to your central node(s) throughout the work?

I'd not thought of that... we have very high ceilings too (almost 2ft
above the doorway) so dropping the ceiling just 3-4 inches would not
show & could be useful to save more joist holes.

>  If you are working room by room then will you store cut cables
>  between the joists until a room is ready to recieve them or keep open
>  access to your central node(s) throughout the work?
Already running some additional cabling to a couple of locations --
seeing how I currently have much of the landing floor up!

It's obvious the data cabling is a DIY job -- the cables are neatly
run, labelled, and clipped up to the joists every now-and-then....
unlike the professional work already in the void which seems to be
mostly junction boxes with a few bits of cable holding them together
;-)

And I'm now connected to t'internet via the first of my new network
cables.... ! A success milestone!
(Though after pratting around for half an hour getting the punching
correct, I am gonna borrow my mate's cable tester when I can get hold
of him...!)

Thanks all again.

jon