Re: X10 - how ?

> Comfort has the 8-channel dimmer for £430, 12-channel relay for £512.
> The 4 channel switch interface is £88.

The 1 amp x 8 channel dimmer is not a lot more expensive than 8 X10 DIN
Rail
modules.

> It's a ludicrous price for what this stuff actually does.

I have to disagree completely with that statement.  Some modules do seem
usually expensive (like the Ethernet one for example).  But a system using
the 8 channel one amp dimmers along with bus couplers for the switches is
providing a very high quality professional bus lighting system for a very
reasonable cost.  In a new build you will also save some money because you
don't have to run mains cables to every light switch in the house, just a
single CAT5.

This thread started with complaints about X10's abilities.  C-Bus is a
great
alternative which is more robust and has more features.  It's always going
to be more expensive than a plug-in X10 module, but would you really expect
it to be anything else?  It's not the crazy prices of some other hard wired
system which are clearly aimed at the millionaire types.  It's an
affordable, quality system.

Mark McCall