Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

Too funny. I was giving my bunch out to employees for a Christmas gift that
year.
They were all in the electrical energy business so thought they could make
use of them and they were cheap. Better than a bottle?

Non-metering (and then some in the field) people have a hard time with that.
Accuracy eg. 2% of F.S.

"Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, I agree that the Kill-a-Watt is very accurate (matches both tong and
in-line ammeters pretty closely) when measuring gear in the 2A to 15A range.
It's the low end of the scale that's gotten me into a little bit of trouble
before (burned up an XTB based on the bad reading of a mix of inductive and
reactive loads).  To get around it, I built a test box with some banana
jacks and a power cord and outlet that allow me to plug a device into an
inline ammeter without much trouble or fussing with test leads.  I
definitely don't depend on the Kill-a-Watt for accurate readings below 15W
or so.  But it's not really an issue because I have other tools for those
readings.

Since most ammeters have selectable ranges, you can pick the one that's
going to be the most accurate for the current you're trying to read.  The
Kill-a-Watt could be auto-ranging, but I doubt that it is.  It's just
optimized for larger loads than a few watts.  Most people using them are
measuring refrigerators and other large power "hogs."  For that, they're
quite a deal.

Newegg had a sale on the old model when the new ones came out.  They were
about $12 each a while back so I picked up a few for myself and for Xmas
gifts for friends.  Mine are now installed on the window AC, the fridge and
the space heater in the bedroom.  The only issue I have with them is that
they lose their memory when the AC power blinks and it's not practical to
run appliances that large with a UPS.  A battery backup would have been
nice, but I doubt I could get them for $12 each if they had such a feature.
I just have to remember to make note of their readings every now and then,
especially if storms are forecast for the area.

--
Bobby G.