Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [snip]
>
> > But not another CFL load!
>
> Right. The setup in my bedroom is a lamp with 100W CFL and a TV (I got a
> small Visio LCD TV that is not "power amnesiac" (comes on with power))

The Green Police are making those non-amnesiac devices harder to find.  My
RCA TV is one, and when you turn it back on with the IR after shutting it
down via X-10 it covers the lower half of the screen with a whiny warning
about the clock losing its settings.  Hey, you're a TV, not a clock!!!!
STFU. (-:

> connected to a receptacle module (SR227) which does not have "local
> control" and the TV provides enough load.

"Flashing" is also dependent on the type of lamp.  I have some GE's that
don't flash but that are X-10 signal suckers and some N:Vision (HD brand)
bulbs that flash like demented fireflies.  X-10 needs to make a CFL friendly
control module.

> [snip[
>
> > OK - just checked with X-10's live support.  They are still pushing
> > AM466 modules which flash and relight like crazy!  The actually called
> > me on the phone (sales, not techie) sent me three useless links, said it
> > was "noise on the line" (tell that to three different X-10 meters I own
> > that say "no noise") and were pleasant, friendly and yet totally
> > unhelpful in solving the flashing problem.
>
> I seldom find "customer service" to be helpful, but at least you got
> someone you could talk to. I just had a really bad experience with a
> wireless (CDMA) broadband carrier, where the person ignored 90% of what I
> said.

I've found if you're even moderately knowledgeable about a product it takes
two escalations to get someone who's not reading from an IF THEN ELSE chart
and who can actually troubleshoot.  X-10's tech support came in as "Unknown
name/Unknown number" on caller ID, FWIW.  Once I heard her speaking I knew I
was not going to get a good answer.  I hope I don't regret giving them my
phone number.

--
Bobby G.