Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

On Sep 9, 12:43=A0am, "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Mark Lloyd" <mll...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > [snip]
>
> > > But not another CFL load!
>
> > Right. The setup in my bedroom is a lamp with 100W CFL and a TV (I got =
> > small Visio LCD TV that is not "power amnesiac" (comes on with power))
>
> The Green Police are making those non-amnesiac devices harder to find. =
=A0My
> RCA TV is one, and when you turn it back on with the IR after shutting it
> down via X-10 it covers the lower half of the screen with a whiny warning
> about the clock losing its settings. =A0Hey, you're a TV, not a clock!!!!
> STFU. (-:
>
> > connected to a receptacle module (SR227) which does not have "local
> > control" and the TV provides enough load.
>
> "Flashing" is also dependent on the type of lamp. =A0I have some GE's tha=
> don't flash but that are X-10 signal suckers and some N:Vision (HD brand)
> bulbs that flash like demented fireflies. =A0X-10 needs to make a CFL fri=
endly
> control module.
>
> > [snip[
>
> > > OK - just checked with X-10's live support. =A0They are still pushing
> > > AM466 modules which flash and relight like crazy! =A0The actually cal=
led
> > > me on the phone (sales, not techie) sent me three useless links, said=
 it
> > > was "noise on the line" (tell that to three different X-10 meters I o=
wn
> > > that say "no noise") and were pleasant, friendly and yet totally
> > > unhelpful in solving the flashing problem.
>
> > I seldom find "customer service" to be helpful, but at least you got
> > someone you could talk to. I just had a really bad experience with a
> > wireless (CDMA) broadband carrier, where the person ignored 90% of what=
> > said.
>
> I've found if you're even moderately knowledgeable about a product it tak=
es
> two escalations to get someone who's not reading from an IF THEN ELSE cha=
rt
> and who can actually troubleshoot. =A0X-10's tech support came in as "Unk=
nown
> name/Unknown number" on caller ID, FWIW. =A0Once I heard her speaking I k=
new I
> was not going to get a good answer. =A0I hope I don't regret giving them =
my
> phone number.
>
> --
> Bobby G.

And I have two settups using X10 with CFL and both work perfectly.
One uses the plug-in appliance module with a 100W CFL in a desktop
light.   The other is the X10 wall switch that powers 4 small candle
type CFLs, maybe 25W each at the front door.  Both go totally out when
off.

I guess it could depend on the design of the CFLs.