Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

On 9/9/2010 7:30 PM, Robert Green wrote:
> "Art Todesco"<actodesco@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote in message
>> On 9/9/2010 12:43 AM, Robert Green wrote:
>>> "Mark Lloyd"<mlloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote in message

>>> The Green Police are making those non-amnesiac devices harder to find.
> My
>>> RCA TV is one, and when you turn it back on with the IR after shutting
> it
>>> down via X-10 it covers the lower half of the screen with a whiny
> warning
>>> about the clock losing its settings.  Hey, you're a TV, not a clock!!!!
>>> STFU. (-:

>>> "Flashing" is also dependent on the type of lamp.  I have some GE's that
>>> don't flash but that are X-10 signal suckers and some N:Vision (HD
> brand)
>>> bulbs that flash like demented fireflies.  X-10 needs to make a CFL
> friendly
>>> control module.

> it
> own

>>> I've found if you're even moderately knowledgeable about a product it
> takes
>>> two escalations to get someone who's not reading from an IF THEN ELSE
> chart
>>> and who can actually troubleshoot.  X-10's tech support came in as
> "Unknown
>>> name/Unknown number" on caller ID, FWIW.  Once I heard her speaking I
> knew I
>>> was not going to get a good answer.  I hope I don't regret giving them
> my
>>> phone number.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bobby G.
>>>
>> Two possibilities here:
>> I have a whole load of the Universal
>> Modules, which I used in a previous
>> life, for Halloween animation.  I
>> modified the UM to remove the screw
>> terminals and I then added a 1 foot
>> pigtail with a female receptacle.
>> Actually, it was cut off from an
>> extension cord, so there were 3 outlets.
>>    The wire went into the place where the
>> screws were, formerly.  I've read that
>> the contacts are rated for line voltage,
>> but because of the exposed screw
>> terminals, the unit was only rated for
>> low voltage.  Anyway, as this is just a
>> plain make contact in series with the
>> load, it works good on the CFLs that
>> where blinking with the module off.  I
>> am now presently using this on in my
>> living room.  One sort-of problem, these
>> modules click REAL LOUD.
>
> I have a bunch of UM's, and they do indeed clack, but I am too much of a
> pussy to pass 110VAC through a contact spec'ed for 33VAC.  You're proving
> that it can be done.  I'm saying "Hey, X-10, why are you forcing people like
> Art to do your design engineering for you?"
>
>> The 2nd possibility is regular
>> lamp/appliance module modification.  I
>> have seen modifications that make a lamp
>> module into a click-free appliance
>> module.  One uses a solid state relay.
>> The other uses some other parts.  These
> [...]
As for the UM, yes the click is horrible
... worse than the generic appliance
module.   I'm not sure where I found it,
but, someone reported that the relay
contacts were actually rated at line
voltage.  The exposed screw terminal are
what actually made them put a spec of
33VAC on the module.  As you said, I'm
proof that it works but I don't have any
hard documentation showing the contact
rating.

Also, when you said your house had an
X10 standby load of 400 watts, I can't