Re: Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

"Rich Wonneberger" <Turtil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I seem to recall the my lamp and dimming wall switch being limited to
> 500 watts max.
> I do not think I would want to run either at the max limit anyway.
> Was your module rated for the 1000 watt load?

Nope.  I screwed up.  I was comparing the appliance and lamp modules and
thought I had an appliance module (which can handle 15A) in my test box when
in fact, it was a lamp module which is limited to 300W.  Interestingly,
there's different wattage rating for incandescent and resistive loads on
appliance modules due to the inrush current of incandescent lamps compared
to the load presented by a space heater.

Fortunately, every "X-10 Super Deal" I have ever bought into came with free
lamp modules, so it wasn't an expensive mistake, just an impressive one.
The plastic melted around the internal components and smoked quite a bit,
but did not catch fire.  I was surprised that the module didn't have a fuse
in it and melted down, but at the price they charge for lamp modules, a fuse
would probably be overkill.

I recall at the time there was a lot of discussion in Comp.Home.Automation
about how dimming modules had to be "derated" if run in the same wall box
and I was curious to see just how much heat the modules generated.  I can
see why X-10 (and probably the NEC) doesn't want dimming switches
controlling switched wall outlets.  Too easy to do what I did by accident
with a vacuum cleaner or some other high wattage load.

--
Bobby G.