Re: x10 Help

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Frank Mc Alinden" <Frank.Mc.Alinden.2xhnvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> My initial problem with no reponse at all was due to a bent pin on the
>> Homevision x10 socket.
>
>Good on you, mate!  What made you even think to look at the connection?
>
>As for the ESM1 and the difference in Hz between Aussie and US power, I
>thought that someone said it doesn't make any difference but I couldn't find
>substantiation for that in a quick Google search.  Perhaps someone smarter
>will chime in and clarify.  It's too bad that X-10 never really embraced
>240VAC the way they did 110VAC.  From what I saw in my brief search, the
>price for the 240VAC gear is still pretty painful.

And if each of the 50 states in the USA required a different plug design,
X-10 prices here would reflect that. While Europe is standardizing on
voltage, nearly each country has a different plug style. If Belgium splits,
there will probably be yet another. ;-)

European/US prices for X-10 devices that do not plug into the powerline are
not all that different, especially considering the difference in sales
volume. Laser sells the HR10E for 12GBP. X-10 sells the equivalent HR12A for
$19.99.

As for using the ESM1 on 230VAC, replacing the 120VAC:12VAC wall transformer
with a 230VAC:12VAC wall transformer should work. I've answered this
question a few times but don't recall ever getting feedback from anyone who
tried it. Whether that's because no one tried it or everyone who did was
electrocuted, I don't know. Maybe Frank, if he survives, will give us some
feedback.