Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

"Richard Kaplan" <rkaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:46fb4107$0$26458$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> It's a holdover from the alarm industry.  Most alarm dealers don't
>> like to share info on how things work with their customers.  They
>> fear that a knowledgeable customer will find it easy to switch
>> providers.
>
> There are no words to say how much that turns me off as a
> prospective customer.

Me too.  Unfortunately, it's pretty much universal.  ELK Products is
one of the few manufacturers that even tries to help DIY end users.
Honeywell, Napco, DSC, GE Security and Bosch will refuse to help if
you call tech support.  They won't even help if they realize it's a
3-way call with the end user on the line.  ELK tries to walk a fine
line -- supporting DIY and trying not to offend alarm dealers.

In any event, it's not a problem since they do provide after sale
access to the "dealer" website and they will help if you ask.  They
*prefer* that you ask one of their online retailers for assistance
though since there are a limited number of people in tech support.
It's our job as dealers to give tech support to end users but if we
run into a problem it's good knowing they won't leave us (or you) in
the lurch.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass