Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

> Am I correct that I can simply buy a Z-Wave thermostat like the
> following and use it standalone to get this fundamental interface
> to the pool working and then step-by-step I can choose to add an
> ELK-M1G with Z-wave interface, then add Ethernet to the ELK, etc,
> etc.?   So maybe I want to just break down the project step by step
> to learn how it works and increase the complexity of the system?

Yes, you are correct, except that the linked product is actually the
now discontinued RCS model.  It can be simpler than that, however.
You can install ELK-M1ZTSR modules and connect them to the ELK-M1G
controller.  Where the pump / light / heater controls are add an
ELK-M1XIN input expander and ELK-M1RB relay board.  You can read
temperatures as well as light, valve, pump and heater operating
status into the ELK-M1XIN as dry contact or analog (0-10V) inputs.
You can operate everything via relays on the ELK-M1RB.  The input
board has 16 zones and the relay board has 8 outputs.  You can have
multiple boards as needed.  They all connect to the M1G control via a
single CAT5 cable.

The relays on the M1RB are rated for 10A @ 125VAC or 7A @ 30VDC.  To
control heavy loads you can use an ELK-9100 or any high-current
contactor from another manufacturer.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass