Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

"Richard Kaplan" <rkaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:46f2b4fd$0$16353$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I recently built an inground/outdoor covered pool which I intend to
>operate year-round in a fairly cold climate (Pennsylvania).  The
>pool has both an electric heat pump and a natural gas heater.
>
> I would like to automate the operation of the pool's heating system
> so that the automated system can:
>
> (1) Change valves between the heat pump and natural gas heater
> depending on outside temperature
> (2) Operate the heat pump whenever it is warm outside in order to
> efficiently store energy in the pool
> (3) Operate the natural gas heater only when the pool water falls
> below a given threshold
> (4) Log data regarding how many hours per day the heat pump and gas
> heater operate
> (5) Let me control/monitor the system via an Internet link
>
> Any suggestions regarding what system might accomplish this?  I am
> particularly interested in a system which can be fairly
> sophisticated in terms of the algorithm I may use to decide which
> heat source is operational and for how long.

Intermatic makes communicating (i.e., controllable) swimming pool
automation systems.  They use Z-Wave which is a popular automation
communications protocol.  The controllers can select and operate the
appropriate pumps, heaters, etc., based on temperature conditions,
least cost (time of day), etc.  They can also be operated by
comprehensive HA systems such as ELK-M1G, Homeseer, etc.

Another posted suggested you provide more information on the systems
you plan to implement.  He's right, of course.  In order to specify
an appropriate controller we'd need a little more information.
However, you can find information on ELK Products and Intermatic at
the manufacturers' websites here:

Intermatic:
http://www.intermatic.com/images/catalog/300PS10168-LR.pdf

HomeSeer:
http://www.homeseer.com

Elk Products:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/elk-m1.htm

There are numerous other manufacturers with their own solutions.
Each has supporters and detractors.  Arguments over which is the
better HA protocol tend to take on religious fervor at times.  I
mention the above as a place to start your research -- not as though
it's the only approach I might consider.  Since I'm an ELK Products
dealer and since I also sell Z-Wave products, naturally I have a
slight bias in favor of them.  However, I've chosen them because I
believe in them.  I'm installing an ELK-M1G system in my own home and
I plan to use it to control my swimming pool and spa, among other
things.  Though the pool is probably smaller than yours, it's still
large enough that I need to optimize the controls.  We have a solar
heating system but I plan to add an electric or propane auxiliary
heater for those frigid days of winter when the temperature drops
below 60ºF in Sarasota.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass