Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

> Thanks for the help.
>
> The systems I would like to connect are:
>
> * Hayward H350 Natural gas heater

Hayward heaters have, among other things, an on/off/on rocker switxh
which allows you to manually switch between pool, spa or none.  Talk
to the contractor or retailer if you're installing the Hayward
yourself to see if you can't parallel this with relay outputs from
your own controller.  If you do it this way, provide a second switch
or relay that will interrupt control from your HA system in the event
the HA is down.  That way the system will run stand alone while
you're working on the HA system.

> * Heat Siphon electric heat pump (currently I have the analog model
> though I understand an upgrade is available to support a digital
> interface)

Some of these can be triggered with a contact closure.  If you can
get the make/model that would help.  Upgrading to digital might be a
waste if you plan to operate the system using an HA system which will
provide all the necessary logic.

> * Electric pool pump (perhaps I need to control this so I can turn
> it off when valves are being changed)

Yep.  Also, make sure the pump will run continuously during
sub-freezing temperatures in case the heating systems ever fail.

> * 3 valves which control the flow of water between the electric
> heat pump and the gas heater

Have you looked into an auxiliary solar heater?  While Pennsylvania
gets less sun than Florida it may still more than pay for itself,
especially with rising fuel/electricity charges.

> * On/off switch to a recirculator pump which heats the interior of
> the dome by circulating water from a home water heater

Again, this is trivial to control with almost any HA system.  I don't
want to sound like a broken record about ELK Products, but their
ELK-M1G system has an advantage over several other popular lines.
Any of the inputs can be analog, allowing the system to read
temperatures from remote probes to make comparison-based choices as
to which heaters, pumps, valves, etc., should be on.  Our pool & spa
automation system currently uses solar but I plan to add either an
electric or gas heater for winter (when temperatures drop below
70ºF)...  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass