Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

On 2007-09-24 12:12:40 -0400, "Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Yes, you are correct, except that the linked product is actually the
> now discontinued RCS model.  It can be simpler than that, however. You
> can install ELK-M1ZTSR modules and connect them to the ELK-M1G
> controller.  Where the pump / light / heater controls are add an
> ELK-M1XIN input expander and ELK-M1RB relay board.  You can read
> temperatures as well as light, valve, pump and heater operating status
> into the ELK-M1XIN as dry contact or analog (0-10V) inputs. You can
> operate everything via relays on the ELK-M1RB.  The input board has 16
> zones and the relay board has 8 outputs.  You can have multiple boards
> as needed.  They all connect to the M1G control via a single CAT5 cable.

Am I correct that this is basically the equivalent of a do-it-yourself
thermostat?

And as a result if I do this then the operation of my pool heating
system becomes dependent upon my having a functioning ELK-M1G system?

If so, that seems like a reliability risk.  It seemed to me that beauty
of the RCS device was that it was a freestanding thermostat; if the
rest of my home automation system crashed I could just keep using the
thermostats manually.

Why was the RCS device discontinued?