Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

>> Yes, you are correct, except that the linked product is actually
>> the now discontinued RCS model.  It can be simpler than that,
>> however. You can install ELK-M1ZTSR modules and connect them to
>> the ELK-M1G controller.  Where the pump / light / heater controls
>> are add an ELK-M1XIN input expander and ELK-M1RB relay board.  You
>> can read temperatures as well as light, valve, pump and heater
>> operating status into the ELK-M1XIN as dry contact or analog
>> (0-10V) inputs. You can operate everything via relays on the
>> ELK-M1RB.  The input board has 16 zones and the relay board has 8
>> outputs.  You can have multiple boards as needed.  They all
>> connect to the M1G control via a single CAT5 cable.
>
> Am I correct that this is basically the equivalent of a
> do-it-yourself thermostat?

No.  The preferred approach is to have each subsystem capable of
working in stand-alone mode.  Particularly in northern states it is
important that heaters run with or without the HA system.  The HAI,
RCS and Aprilaire models all meet this requirement.  The same
approach would apply to the pool control system.

> Why was the RCS device discontinued?

I don't know.  Probably low sales volume.  The entire HVAC industry
has been in a slump with housing starts down.  Have you looked at the
Aprilaire thermostat yet?  Some of my customers are using it with the
ELK system.  The manufacturer's website has extensive documentation.
Here's a URL:
http://www.aprilairecontractor.com/ha_automatedHVAC.aspx

--

Regards,