Re: leviton vizia RF switches (Z-wave)

"Dan Wright" <No_way@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What I have done could be done by anyone.  I took the houses as they stood,
>installed the wall switches and then brought up the network.   Short of a
>McMansion with a replica of the Great Hall from Ballmoral Castle, I don't
>see a situation where there would be more than 25ft, provided a house was
>fully done.  Partial implementations could have issues.  Also bear in mind
>where the command originates from matters.  If the transmitter is in the
>center, 4 in each direction go a long ways.  One at the fringe of the
>network may have more of a problem.

Like the little video on the InTouch site illustrates, devices at opposite
edges of the network cannot reach each other.

>Not sure about the cost and performance differences you bring up, as I said,
>I've been working with Vizia as wall switches and a mix of hand helds.  The
>Vizia units are scene capable, including the plug ins, not sure if that is
>true for the other/earlier units.  As I said in a prior post I beleive $20
>dimmer is for Vizia, not ViziaRF.  There may also be market based pricing at
>work.  The Leviton X-10 products were perceived as being better than others
>and were priced accordingly.

The online sites where I was able to find Vizia products listed do not make
this distiction but I did hear back from Martin Custer who confirmed that
the Vizia line has both RF and standard (non-automated) devices and the $20
dimmer is non-automated.

>Citing free air range numbers would not surprise me.   Not sure how it could
>be any other way for standardization, but it would also not be realistic,
>sort of like the original EPA fuel economy numbers. If someone was concerned
>they could get a starter kit (Primary remote and 2 wall warts) and use that
>to test their own personal environment.

I would expect plug-in modules to have slightly better range than switches.

http://davehouston.net