Re: DSL wiring question

"Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I switching to DSL, so I'm going to put a whole house filter in the
>basement. But I'm wondering if I need/should upgrade my wiring to the to the
>computer room. There's currently two 4-wire 'telephone' cables (non twisted)
>running to the computer room. I was thinking of replacing one of these with
>Cat5e to carry the DSL signal and perhaps the regular phone line. But
>considering the phone line to the house appears to have about 8 pairs of non
>twisted wires, how much is this going to matter?

I've had DSL for as long as it has been available here (~8 years). I'm in a
building that is ~60 tears old. The equally ancient wire from the entrance
to the wall outlets is old 4-wire round telco cable. I have a long modular
cable plugged into the nearest wall outlet and it gets split 3 ways to feed
my phone, a modem, and the DSL router (all together about 50' of modular
cable). I use one inline filter that came with the DSL kit. I am about 3/4
of a mile from the telco central station. While it varies with the weather,
I regularly see speeds greater than 1.5Mbps.

Your distance from the telco central station is probably the most important
factor.

http://davehouston.net