Re: leviton vizia RF switches (Z-wave)

"Dan Wright" <No_way@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "Dan Wright" <No_way@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>I am yet to find a range/hops issue, even in the large installation.   I
>>>have not done formal tests, but my current attitude is that it is good
>>>enough up through the 3500 sqft range/single story, depending on layout.
>>>Homeseer offers a tool that does Z-wave network analysis which would help
>>>with any  network issues..  It requires their Z-troller primary
>>>controller.
>>
>> What's the distance between nodes? Does Vizia use 4 max hops?
>
>ViziaRF says it use up to 4 hops.
>
>Roughly the longest distance between nodes is about 25 feet.  Furthest node
>from the primary controller  is about 65 feet.

Thanks.

Other than to hire you to install his system, what advice would you offer
the OP who appears to be planning a sparsely populated Vizia network?

Both Vizia and Intermatic's InTouch systems have only started shipping this
month. Can you shed any light on why these second generation Z-Wave products
cost so much more than the first generation products? Using
AutomatedOutlet.com prices and comparing to Intermatic's original products,
Vizia seems to cost about twice as much (although there's one $18 dimmer
switch) while InTouch seems to cost nearly three times as much. One thought
that comes to mind is that they have increased the sensitivity of the
receivers which would be one way to improve range, FCC rules would prohibit
increasing transmitted power but would not prevent improvements to the
receivers.

The few range figures posted here have been biased in that they have
involved transmitters that were outdoors sending to a module indoors (with
no mention of intervening walls, etc.). In the video on the InTouch website,
Intermatic says up to 100' range and the datasheet for the Vizia remote says
75' range but neither say whether this is free-air range. (Almost
universally, manufacturers quote free-air range.) Echelon published a
whitepaper that included hands on tests of Z-Wave (first generation) that
indicated 20-30' reliable indoor range. A user in the UK found he couldn't
reach a shed (40' away) without adding a module half-way between the shed
and house. (This is not directly applicable because Europe uses a different
frequency and allows different power levels.)

http://www.echelon.com/support/documentation/documents/005-0171A_RF_White_Paper.pdf

For anyone who doesn't understand the max hop issue, the video on the
Intouch website addresses it.

http://www.intouchcontrols.com/intouch-technology.php

FCC rules allow higher power for systems that are primarily operated by a
humanoid pushing a button and require reduced power for systems that send
signals automatically. Automatic polling would appear to be a technical
violation of the rules.

http://davehouston.net