Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:45:10 -0500, Robert L Bass <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm.  Does this engineer work for a company that sells connectors or "high end" cable?  Tightening an F connector will only affect
> the ground (shield) connection.  It has no affect on the center conductor on which the signal rides.

fluctuating shield connection will cause fluctuating impedance in the
cable, which will in turn cause anomalies in the signal transfer.

> That's strange.  It has never happened to me and I always use finger tight connections on A/V gear.  Perhaps the gentleman is
> speaking of connections exposed to the elements.  In part of the snipped passage he mentions the effect of wind on the connectors.

I think exposure's the main issue.  I do see signal problems when I move
my cables using "cheap push-on" connectors even when the connection
feels solid.  Every now and again I see it when I move a threaded
connection, and I then find out that threaded connected is not even
hand-tight.  They do seem to loosen up over time, especially the ones
too awkward to really tighten well.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com