Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

In article <459a0b2e_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> lnh wrote:
>
> > Wrong. Here in Houston if you dont use Quad shield you WILL see the
> > leakage
>
> Is there something special about Houston?
>
> I doubt it.

Exactly. Nothing special, but experience here shows quad is better. Even
the incredibly cheap cable company was forced to use it

> Quad shield is a waste of time and money over good quality foil and
> braid cables like Belden duofoil.

Your opinion.  And that would be an expensive mistake here. Just ask the
electrical contractors who used the wrong cable. And do a little
research about cable companies that are fined for leakage by the FCC.

> >>  I use both Greenlee and the
> >>Snap n Seal connectors.  They cost a bit more, but are both
> >>mechanically sound and water proof.  The old hex crimp are easy to
> >>pull apart.  One of these can hold my weight on the cable and in work
> >>clothes I go over 180#.
> >
> > Well, my hex crimps will hang a TV, so they are fine. I seen enough bad
> > Snap and Seal connectors that I automatically cut them off and
> > reterminate.
>
> My experience over thousands of F connectors is the exact opposite.
>
> Please post a link to a bad SNS connector. I have yet to see one when
> installed to specification.

At my the shop we have a wall of shame, and it has both types. My point
is neither is perfect, and both can be badly installed by dweebs. Since
the new rage is snap n seal connectors installed by the untrained, they
are usually defective. When you do this for a living, you learn what
will save time.

And snap and seals are not inherently water proof.

> >>As to how well  the foil and braid works; I run the cable through
> >>conduit with the cables for my ham station. They will be running as
> >>much as 1500 watts 1.8 through 50 MHz, a couple hundred watts on 144
> >>MHz and up to 50 watts on the 440 MHz band.  I have two cables that
> >>run to remote preamps on UHF antennas at roughly 90 feet and two that
> >>run to the satellite dish at roughly 15 feet.  There is no interaction
> >>of leakage between systems.
> >

> > That's just bad practice. Is that measured, or just observed?
>
> It isn't bad practice for his application. You obviously have not been
> around many ham shacks.

So you recommend doing this, and everybody who reads this on the
internet should follow his methods? I don't.

> Since he is running both TX and RX through the conduit and has some nice
> receivers he would be aware of signal leakage.
>
> The point is that in a much more extreme RF environment foil and braid
> cables work fine.

Again, he is lucky, and use of those cables here (and elsewhere) WILL
result in VISIBLE leakage.

> >>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> >>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> >>www.rogerhalstead.com
>
> Who to believe?

I don't care who you believe.

> A licensed Radio Amateur with actual RF experience or some no-name that
> can "see" signal leakage and prefers a termination technology that is no
> longer used in the industry.

Yeah, I've only been doing installs for 30 years, so what do I know? I
know what I have been trained on and what are best practices. Lots of
things will work, but that is not what I will recommend.

> I think I'll stick with Mr. Halstead.

O.K.