Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

lnh wrote:

> Exactly. Nothing special, but experience here shows quad is better. Even
> the incredibly cheap cable company was forced to use it

Let's have a part number with manufacturer for the cable and a cable
company name. I have yet to see documentation of a major cable company
using quad for standard installs. There have been newsgroup myths to
that effect however.

>>Quad shield is a waste of time and money over good quality foil and
>>braid cables like Belden duofoil.
>
> Your opinion.  And that would be an expensive mistake here. Just ask the
> electrical contractors who used the wrong cable. And do a little
> research about cable companies that are fined for leakage by the FCC.

Not just my opinion.

Most major cable companies use foil and braid cables, not quad shield.
The reason? Quad is a waste of time and money.

There is cheap low spec cable that will leak. I dare say there is even
some cheap quad that does not preform as well as quality foil and braid.
Don't use cheap low spec cable.

For CATV/DBS usage I look for 100% foil and at least 90% braid coverage.
For RG6 the attenuation per 100' at 1000 MHz should be less than 7 Db
and return loss 5-1000 MHz at least 20 Db.

If you follow these specs, properly install SNS connectors, use good
quality passive/active components (splitters, amps, etc) and ground
properly you shouldn't have problems with signal leakage as defined in
FCC part 76.

A decent discussion of Part 76 Multichannel Video and Cable Television
Service leakage can be found here:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/catvi/catvi-leakage.html

If instead you are talking about leakage into the system you must
realize that the difference in signal attenuation between the cable I
specified above and the most shielded cable available will be
meaningless when connected to any consumer grade TV, VCR or DVR. The
input stages of these devices are quite poorly shielded and may exhibit
interference problems before the cable is attached.

Additionally realize that consumer electronics (TV/VCR/DVD/Computers
etc) connected to the cabling system leak RF. Even on a well designed
and installed system either poorly designed devices or a large number of
connected devices could result in unwanted attention from the cable
company concerning signal leakage.

>>>Well, my hex crimps will hang a TV, so they are fine. I seen enough bad
>>>Snap and Seal connectors that I automatically cut them off and
>>>reterminate.
>>
>>My experience over thousands of F connectors is the exact opposite.
>>
>>Please post a link to a bad SNS connector. I have yet to see one when
>>installed to specification.
>
> At my the shop we have a wall of shame, and it has both types. My point
> is neither is perfect, and both can be badly installed by dweebs. Since
> the new rage is snap n seal connectors installed by the untrained, they
> are usually defective. When you do this for a living, you learn what
> will save time.
>
> And snap and seals are not inherently water proof.

This is where you blow your credibility.

http://www.tnb.com/contractor/docs/snapnseal.pdf

WHAT MAKES SNAP-N-SEAL
CONNECTORS UNIQUE?
? 100% waterproof - superior environmental seal prevents
any moisture from entering the connection
? 15 year industry track record - more than 1 billion
sold with no recorded performance degradation
? True 360° compression onto cable ensures superior RF
shielding performance, -95 dB effective shielding (typical on
60% bonded foil cable).
? Simple and quick to install requiring the industry?s
lowest hand compression force on the installation
tool

Anyone that would "I automatically cut them off and reterminate" all SNS
connectors with hex is not someone I would want on a job.

> Again, he is lucky, and use of those cables here (and elsewhere) WILL
> result in VISIBLE leakage.

No. He isn't lucky, he did the engineering and his system preforms as
designed.

Knee-jerk "you must use quad shield or bad things will happen" is not
engineering. It is relying on prejudice, myth and word of mouth from
questionable sources such as yourself.

> Yeah, I've only been doing installs for 30 years, so what do I know? I
> know what I have been trained on and what are best practices. Lots of
> things will work, but that is not what I will recommend.

Same here. I have been doing installs for 30+ years but I threw away the
hex crimp stuff 10 years ago. You appear to be living in the past.

>>I think I'll stick with Mr. Halstead.
>

> O.K.

We agree!