Re: X10 Motion Sensor

On 7 Jan 2007 22:39:27 -0800, komobu <curranpg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure what I need. I want to be able to turn on the garage lights
> with a remote from the car. I also want a motion sensor hooked up.

X10 "palmpad" R.F. remote (I don't like any of the other X10 remotes
I've tried, they are not reliable for me, but the 5-in-1 learning remote
seems to work well).

X10 "transceiver" e.g. TM-751 to receive the R.F. and send it on
powerline.

X10 motion sensor (hawkeye, eagle-eye or active-eye, the more expensive
operate a bit more flexibly) also generates R.F.

X10 lightswitch to replace the in-wall switch currently controlling the
garage lights receives powerline signals and also allows local control.
Or else an X10 "lamp" or "appliance" module to plug-in to an outlet and
control a plug-in light.

> After 5 minutes of no activity, I want the motion sensor to shut off
> the garage lights. Thus the motion sensor would be used more for
> turning the lights off rather than on.

It will do both...

> I am thinking about doing the same thing in some spare bedrooms and
> guest baths. Is this possible? What do I need to purchase? Any advice

Too many X10 motion sensors can be trouble (the R.F. and powerline
signals can interfere with each other).  The number depends on how much
motion they see, which depends on how many people in the house and on
the location of the sensors as compared to normal traffic paths.

Watch for deals on X10.com (might sign up for their e-mail list).  For
example, recently they had a "driveway detector" kit which included the
motion sensor and transceiver and a chime for about the normal price of
the motion sensor alone.  You can often get 3 or 4 remotes or motion
sensors or other modules for the price of 1.  Sometimes even 6 for 1...

sdb
--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com